Tuesday, July 12, 2011

{Zucchini}

With the abundance that is bursting from our garden, we've been faced with the following challenge: how many different ways can one prepare {insert vegetable here}?

If you've ever managed a garden, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

Currently, the "insert vegetable here" is zucchini.  (And potatoes.)

We didn't plan too well with our planting - but who can blame us?  Most of the interns that were here right at the beginning had little to no knowledge about gardening.  We did damn well considering, if you ask me.  Or David.  Or Brandon.  Or Vaughn.

So ... how many possible ways can you cook, prepare, eat .... zucchini?  I didn't think there were many.  I was afraid we'd watch them slowly wilt as we dreaded another sauteed zucchini + veggie dish.  But no. We're much too creative for that here. Observe:

David started it.  He unknowingly set the bar for new, creative and delicious recipes.  (I blame the banana, blueberry, almond pancakes w/ wheat flour he made ages ago.)  This time, he decided to make zucchini cakes.  Think crab cakes, but with zucchini ("z").  And feta cheese, green onion, & red peppers (I think) held together with some egg and flour.  Fried to perfection.  

Inspired by this idea, Brandon and I decided to make our own batch.  We saw his feta z-cakes and raised him:
z-cakes with garlic, lemon, spring onion, bell pepper, cayenne, paprika, breadcrumbs, egg, flour, mayo. WHAT.

Meanwhile ... everyone is dicing up zucchini and putting it into scrambles, salads, hot pastas, cold pastas - you name it. 

Yesterday, David hit back.  He whipped up z-bread w/ walnuts and carob chips.  I had a sample of the batter and it was divine. The finished product was even better.  To die for!  Hard to top that. 

Next up?  Battered zucchini, stuffed squash blossoms or .... zucchini "pasta"?  D. All of the above.

Now, I don't have a photo of the z-bread, but here's an example of the kind of magic David can make with his bread; this is homemade wheat he whipped up (4 loaves, I might add) last week.  Perhaps he missed his calling as a baker?  And no, I didn't steal this shot from Google images "perfect loaf of bread"


1 comment: