Tuesday, June 28, 2011

mmm, Mullberries

Have you ever had a mulberry?  I hadn't either.  Until now.

They look like blackberries, except longer, more narrow and they grow on a tree.  No, that wasn't a typo - they are berries growing on a tree.  A big tree.  Nature is full of surprises.  The first time I saw it, I believe the words "what the ...... seriously?!?" came out of my mouth.



We have a few huge mulberry trees growing on site, and they are fruiting at the moment.  Trouble is the tree is SO high (I'm guessing ... 30 feet?  I'm horrible at estimating, but you get the point) so we can't get to most of them!  We've been harvesting what we can within arms reach, standing on a bench, and also off the ground.  The ones off the ground have a sun-ripened taste ... kinda like fruit roll ups.  Tasty.

While harvesting the other day, the song "All around the mulberry bush, the monkey chased the weasel ... " popped into my head.  But, I think that's pretty normal when you're harvesting mulberries.

We've talked about putting a net down on the ground to catch the ones that fall.  Another' to do' and our list is so long - we'll see if that happens.  For now, it's been a frequent snack of mine, and the other interns.

1 comment:

  1. The mulberry harvest was one of my favorites! Gilly and I were stained silly for a good month last year :). We used the tall ladder to get up to those wee hidden spots that were hard to reach. Yummmm!

    ReplyDelete